Friday, November 21, 2008

Best Pumpkin Bread. Ever.

Yes, you are seeing this right, I am really posting 2 days in a row!  Holy cow, I know!!  This makes my total for November a whopping FOUR!  That's pathetic.  

Anyways, I just came here to tell you all what an awesome wife I am!  Seriously.  :) Today is the big soup cook off at Josh's work, and to prepare for it, well...it was quite the ordeal!  I picked Jeni up from school yesterday and headed out to do a little returning and shopping since the power was out here at home.  Anyways, I called Tamara and she saved my life by asking if I could drop the girls off there!  Thank you sooo much Tamara.  :)  So I went to babies r us and got a bunch of onesies, then to Old Navy and returned a couple things, then on the way back North I went to Krispy Kreme for some doughnuts.  The last place I needed to go was to the grocery store to get ingredients for the soup I was going to make.  Which by the way was a creamy chicken noodle soup, the best!!  My friend Danette told me about a new Smiths Marketplace (like fred meyer) they built and I decided to check it out, not that it's anywhere near where I live.  But I was already on the other side of the valley and the boys were still being good so I figured what the heck.

Well, they didn't have the noodles I needed.  The homemade kind of egg noodle.  So I decided I would stop at Walmart because I thought I had seen them there,  So I left a few things on my list that I knew would be cheaper at Walmart.  By now the boys were starting to get a bit fussy.  They wanted to eat.  So I ran into Walmart and got the few other things I needed, except for the stupid noodles.  What I had seen were bags of fettuccine.  Grrr!  So I drove over to Costco because I KNEW they had the noodles.  When I got there I fed the boys in the car in the parking lot, so not the best place to feed 2 babies at the same time, but I made it work.  We ran in and YAY they had the stupid noodles.  I grabbed them back and hurried to get the girls from Tamaras.  I felt so bad because it had taken me an hour and a half longer than I anticipated by the time I finally got there.  First I got stuck waiting for a train, not to mention the horrible traffic because it was 6:00.  Then after that the traffic was hardly moving and I was trying to hurry the best I could, and I think it was making me nuts because I had no control over it.  So I took a new road hoping it would get me where I needed to be, according to my GPS it would, so I gave it a try.  And it was the best decision I made.  It was sooo much fast than waiting through the mess I was in.

I got home and started boiling chicken while I fed the babies and then I got the soup all done and we ate it for dinner last night, I made a double batch.  Since the email about the contest said comfort food I decided I would make some pumpkin bread to send as well.  So I made that at 10 last night.  The recipe makes 3 loafs.  I kept one and am sending 2 with him to work.
Not the best picture, but here is a loaf all sliced and ready to go.  Let me tell you, this is the best bread.  So moist!  Pumpkin has been my go to since I am not eating chocolate.  You must try it!!

  • 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
  • In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
  • Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

  • Ok, I better run, I need to get Kiki off to school and then it's back to bed for me while the babies are sleeping!!  :)

    3 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I love anything pumpkin! I will ahve to try this :) I had to do the no chocolate thing while I was nursing too. I made about a million batches of rice krispie treats to get my through it. Thanks for the recipe!

    Unknown said...

    Ooh! I will definitely be trying this! Thanks!! Your kids are all so adorable! And holy cow! Nursing two little ones in a parking lot! You should get some sort of award! I don't know how you did that! You're amazing! :)

    Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

    I think we end up having those crazy days too often. We do it to ourselves of course. I haven't had to nurse a baby in the car for a while. I can't imagine two. You are a great wife! The pumpkin bread looks yummy!