Friday, August 14, 2009

Lesson Learned!

A few days ago we were driving in the car. The girls were goofing around and I had the radio playing in the background. Zoned out not even paying attention to what was on. I guess I assumed that they weren't listening as well.

When we got home, little Kaitlyn starts singing, "hush girl, shut your lips, do the Helen Keller, and talk with your hips". Uh oh! I was shocked! I was speechless! I couldn't believe that whatever music was quietly playing in the car was now coming out of her mouth!

So I explained to her that it wasn't a very good thing to be singing and I didn't want to hear her singing it again. She keeps asking why, and I keep telling her. And then she says "Well, if you don't want me to sing it then why do you listen to it?"

Lesson learned! She was totally right. So lately I have tried to be more cautious about what I listen to! I have a cd in the car of this years primary songs that the girls love listening to!

At home I have been listening to Pandora on the computer, I love it. But it's totally random what songs you are going to get. I thought it was great that you can block the explicit songs, but that doesn't mean it filters out topics. So tonight I started looking for some lds artists on there and what do you know...they have a bunch on there. I set up several "stations" based off different artists that I like and it finds other music similar to those! I love the spirit that this music brings into my home! Pandora is awesome...you must check it out!! :) Just wish I could have it in the car with me!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny but true...had my own incident with the kids singing katy perrys i kissed a girl.

Unknown said...

It is amazing how kids can keep us in check sometimes :)

Ang Campbell said...

I have to change the channel on that song, too now. At first the kids were just singing the word "no" instead of "ho" but then Ben seemingly randomly asked me what a "ho" was. *sigh* Darn catchy tune too :P Another one I have to edit or switch is that Black Eyed Peas one about "tonight's gonna be a good night". I love love love that song but they explicitly take the name of the Lord in vain and it's so blatant and obvious in the song it makes me sad. I've resorted to the local Hawaiian music channel or the sort of adult contemporary music channel (gag, but there's occasionally some good 80's stuff and things like Taylor Swift, Jack Johnson, etc). I think I need to just load up my mp3 player and keep it with me in the car :P At least at home I have on the Zune. Music is so pervasive. Brady especially picks up on every stinking lyric. He's crazy!

Ang Campbell said...

Wow look at that. My comment looks novel-esque!