Wednesday, March 19, 2008

stitches

Computer still not working...Josh has been busy with work and hasn't had time to touch it!  Hopefully soon.  I miss my computer!  At least I have Josh's laptop that I can sneak onto while he's not using it!  hehe  

Yesterday my afternoon got very crazy/scary.  I was babysitting 2 girls, the girl I usually tend, and my sister in law so my mother in law could work.  The late morning/early afternoon was going alright...the girls kinda fought (that's what 4 girls do when they're together), I made them some lunch and then around 1 I turned on enchanted and made some popcorn.  About 1:50 my MIL got here to get Alicia.  I was laying on the couch...we talked for a few minute.

Then Kaitlyn ran down the hall back towards her room and tripped (on her feet?) and smacked her head on the door frame to her room.  She hopped up really quick, screaming, holding her head.  I saw blood gushing down her face.  My MIL grabbed her and I grabbed a towel to put on her head, she looked at it and said she definitally needs stitches.  

It was a little after 2, my friend would be here in about 10 minutes to pick up her daughter (she was at home sleeping, she works nights).  So we all jumped in my MIL's car, I drove...she held Kaitlyn.  I went to my friends house and her husband was working from home so I was able to leave her (which was good, 1 more kid to have to drag with us).  We went to the instacare here in town.  I was a little annoyed....We bring my 4 year old in with a gaping head wound and they are going to make us wait behind 3 or 4 other people.  I asked for some advil for her to help with the pain and they took me in the back, I showed the nurses her head and they hurried and got the dr to come check it out.  He said he could fix it, but he would recommend we take her to the ER where someone more experienced could do it and they could sedate her if they needed to.

So off we went up to the ER, I sat in the back to hold the towel on Kiki's head.  She fell asleep pretty quick....It made me pretty nervous.  We got to the ER and they knew we were coming, the instacare had called ahead for us.  The triage nurse put a gauze on her head with some numbing cream on it and about 20-30 minutes later we were back with the ER dr.  He was super nice.  Kaitlyn woke up when he was ready to stitch her up.  Poor thing.  We had myself and 4 nurses trying to hold her down.  He did 2 internal stitches because it was so deep.  He said there was a thin layer left and then her skull.  It was above her left eye, running clear up to her scalp almost.

She wanted nothing to do with getting fixed.  So...the dr ended up sedating her.  It was really scary.  They had to put her on oxygen, she layed there with her eyes wide open, looking around kinda scared looking, but not caring what the dr did.  He stitched her up with 11 more stitches on the outside and close it up really good!  Then I had to wait about 30 minutes for the sedation to wear off.   She was pretty out of it.  She told me I had 6 eyes, 2 noses and 2 mouths.  
Anyways, whole thing took about 4 hours.  She's doing great now!  I have some pics to post, but I can't right now!  The laptop is out of batteries so I am going to hurry and post this before it turns of on me! 

2 comments:

suzy said...

Oh my goodness!! That is so scary. Poor thing. I hope she is feeling better soon. When does she get her stitches out?

Sarah and Dan said...

YOUCH!