Saturday, October 18, 2008

Proud Papa!

3 weeks old today!  Holy Cow!  I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks.  Yah, I know it's not that long, but it kinda is...

Tonight my Dad (Papa to the kiddos) got to see both my boys together for the first time.  He met and held Jonathan in the hospital when they were born, and got to see Julian in the NICU.  So this was the first time he got to hold Julian.  

I have been horrible at taking pictures lately...the camera died the other day and I was too lazy to find the charger.  So today I finally did!  

The past few days have been fabulous!  It's Fall Break from school right now.  That means no school Thurs, Fri, and Mon.  On Thursday afternoon I met my sis. in law Haley up at Sugarhouse and she took the girls to see Wall-E with her kids and a couple friends for my nieces birthday.  She offered to have the girls stay the night.  Couldn't say no to that.  On Friday morning my mom went down to their house and took all the kids to a Halloween thing at This is the Place Heritage Park.  They rode a horse, did crafts, went on a hay ride, got to be in a costume parade, and other fun stuff.  Then my Mom took the girls to her house to sleep over.  They were so excited.  Then today (saturday) she took them garage sale-ing (is saling a word?  my spell check says it's not)  They both got to pick something out and I think they were pretty excited about that.  They didn't bring them home until 5:30pm.  

And when they got here they had some papa murphys pizza to feed the kids and they watched ALL the kids (babies included) while me and Josh went to dinner for our anniversary.  We went to Wingers.  Yum!

So THANKS to all that took care of my girls this weekend to give me a break!  It was so nice to enjoy some quiet and get some rest, but I sure did miss my girlies!  I'm glad they're home!

Oh, on Thursday night my brother in law and a new photography partner came and took the boys pictures!  I have only seen a few of them on the camera, I can't wait to get my hands on the real pics!!  What I saw was ADORABLE!  And they were here for over 3 hours!  I can't wait to show them off!!

And today I made the BEST cookies ever!  Wow!  I was needing a treat!  Chocolate is pretty much out because I think the babies don't tolerate it too well.  Every time I have eaten chocolate I have had some ornery babies.  So I am trying not to eat it.  Anyways...I made some delicious Pumpkin Cookies!  They have a maple frosting.  Here's the recipe for anyone interested:

  • 2 cups shortening
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 8 tablespoons milk
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar














  1. Cream shortening, white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well. Sift together the baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and flour. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.
  2. Drop from spoon to cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees F 
  3. To Make Frosting: Cook butter, milk, and brown sugar until dissolved. Cool and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over warm cookies.
I read a bunch of reviews before making these, and people had a lot to say about how these should be frosted.  It makes a runny frosting, I put my cookies on a cooling rack with wax paper under it and then put a spoonful over the hot cookies and it kinda melted and covered the cookie.  It was messy, so make sure you put wax paper under the rack.  And I think I added maybe 1/2 c. extra powdered sugar!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Liz said...

I have been wanting pumpkin cookies lately (probably the season...) but instead of chocolate chips, I was going to add walnuts. I'll try these as-is, then I might have to try it again with the nuts! I'm going to post my new recipes in a few minutes. Gotta feed Buddy first. You'll have to check them out!

Kirsti said...

Hey, I'm Tamara's friend, we met at Costco a couple months ago. I'm the one with twins. I'm sooo glad that you are doing so well with your little ones and that they were so healthy. Good work! Isn't it amazing having twins? I think it's the best thing ever. Two sweet little babies to make you smile everyday! Your kids are adorable. Congrats! :)

Tina said...

So glad that you got some time with your sweetheart! Your boys are so dang cute!! Let me know what I can do to help out! We'd love to have the girls come and play some time so that you can get a bit of rest!

Linda said...

Hi Kari,
Your mother told me there were some pictures of your twins on your blog, so I had to see them. They are adorable! And their grandpa looks so happy. How fun for you to have twins! My husband, Kirk, is a twin, and he has enjoyed having that bond with his brother. (He calls him his clone!)
Congratulations on your babies!
Linda (Mia's mom) :)